Palunawack - A word without a fixed definition. May be used as an exclamation, adjective or noun to describe something of particular excellence, interest or frustration much like a profanity.

Created in 1998 during a word-search mishap, due to a combination of over-enthusiasm, missing tubas and music teachers living in the 70s.

.

Monday, November 30, 2009

The Paluanawack Tours - Episode 1

I made it!

After 3 flights, a train and a bus, totalling 28 hours in a row, I'm here, alive and well at Kandersteg International Scout Centre, Switzerland.

As promosed, I plan to keep these Episodes short because I never read long ones; so here's some highlights for the first 3 days...

One of the last things I did before leaving on Friday was to have my hair briaded - and it looks awesome. Photos incoming!

First thing heard at Heathrow airport - "Unattended bags will be DESTROYED". Personally, I think this should be changed to "terminated with extreme predudice", but that's just me...

I had less trouble figuring out the train system in Switzerland than in Sydney, thanks largely to the fact that Switzerland have this odd custom of employing staff that actually help you and have trains that run on time! Bit of a contrast to good ol' Connex back home...

Staff training at Kandersteg has so far involved crawling through rather wet caves, dressing up as aliens and piloting a cardboard spaceship through the local village, and swimming in the local river as 11pm at night. Apparently the villagers are used to this and consider Scouts highly amusing (and probably somewhat retarded).

Doing Austalia proud and staying true to form, I have set a New World Record - the fastest time ever to lose a set of chalet keys after being told to "never leave them off your person": a staggeringly incompetant 11 hours! As punishment I'm currenly wearing a large piece of climbing gear around my neck and have to make everyone a cake.

So there's the news. Everyone here is pretty good fun and I'm in for a pretty full on 3 months in some of the most spectacular terraine I've ever seen.

Hope you're all well and would love to get a short update from you as well.

Photos are incoming!

What cheer,

Gordon

No comments:

Post a Comment