Palunawack - A word without a fixed definition. May be used as an exclamation, adjective or noun to describe something of particular excellence, interest or frustration much like a profanity.

Created in 1998 during a word-search mishap, due to a combination of over-enthusiasm, missing tubas and music teachers living in the 70s.

.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Writing is a lot easier and harder than I thought it would be

So I got a lot of praise for those travel emails I was sending home, and even before that people have always told me I write pretty well. So when I got home I thought I’ll start doing this thing properly – writing is obviously my form of expression, so let try and get some solid stuff down on paper.
I started this blog, I started editing The Palunawack Tours for a book and I even started mapping out some of my own thoughts on philosophy (more to come on that another time).

But while the actual writing bit come naturally once I’ve started, it’s the getting started bit that seems to be a problem here.

I’m guessing we’re all familiar with this feeling of impending doom you get when you’re asked or planning to try something you care a lot about. The totally irrational but completely undeniable feeling that ‘If I start this, the world very well might end’.

That, combined with a certain set of bizarre emotional spasms I’ve been experiencing lately as a result of being on the other end of the staying-home-while-someone-else-travels situation (seriously, I was away for 12 months, she’s only gone for three. I should really just shut the hell up) are the reason for the extended period of silence on this blog.
But no more!

And yes! I’m aware I’ve said that before! Shut up!



I’ve decided that if I’m serious about this writing caper (especially since I’ve committed myself to a Masters of Ethics for crying out loud) then it’s time to make a serious effort.
So stay tuned for many more and shorter updates to come! Here’s a taste of potential topics coming up soon:

• Why it’s a bad idea to encourage your philosophy professor to make himself look like an idiot in your very first class

• Freaking out high school students: Why it’s a bad idea to heckle a philosopher with a sense of humour

• Dominating Uni tutorials: ‘What the hell is wrong with you guys? Why aren’t you talking? ANSWER ME!’

• The great fur debate: 10 things I’d like to do to fashion designers (and 2 I’d like to do to PETA protestors)

• Fun games you can play on public transport without anyone noticing


Until then, here’s a suggestion to enrich your weekend.

Get yourself a ball or some small object.

Drop it.

Now think about all the things that might have happened if you hadn’t done that one tiny action, and all things that might now.

Life is just a big bunch potential. Where that potential gets used depends completely on tiny decisions and actions just like dropping that ball.

Want to make life a little more interesting? Think about those tiny actions you make every minute of every day – and change one. Take a wrong turn. Ask a stranger a strange question. Go watch the planes at the airport for an hour.

Why not? Who knows what might happen?

What cheer!

Gordon

No comments:

Post a Comment